The State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) program, which was implemented in spring 2012, includes annual assessments for
- reading and mathematics, grades 3–8
- writing at grades 4 and 7
- science at grades 5 and 8
- social studies at grade 8
- end-of-course (EOC) assessments for English I, English II, Algebra I, biology and U.S history.
Beginning in spring 2016, STAAR English III and Algebra II will be available for districts to administer as optional assessments.
The resources on this website provide information to familiarize Texas educators and the public with the design and format of the STAAR program. The information should help educators understand how the STAAR program measures the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) curriculum standards. These resources should support, not narrow or replace, the teaching of the state-mandated curriculum, the TEKS.